This file contains additional information, probably added from the digital camera or scanner used to create or digitize it.
If the file has been modified from its original state, some details may not fully reflect the modified file.
Pepper Spray: EYE FLUSH
February 25, 2013
Pepper spray effects can last a few minutes to a few hours
This is how Street Medics help flush out pepper spray from the eyes.
check out more on Street medics and protester safety: http://streetmedicqc.blogspot.ca/
Note: Make sure contact lens are removed first.
Spray only in direction from nose toward ear.
1. Introduce yourself
2. Ask for permission to treat
3. Sit or kneel person on ground, and cover with plastic as they are about to get wet. Ask if they are wearing contact lenses. If yes, have person remove them.
4. Firmly open spasmed shut eyelid with your hand closest to person
5. With squirt type water bottle in far hand, firmly squeeze spraying water onto eyeball. this helps flush away excess pepper spray.
6. Stay with patient, they will not be completely free of pepper spray.
7. As a gentle substitute, you can put instill eyedrops onto the eyeball, (and also skin, swish and spit in the mouth) in of a solution of 50% liquid antacid (ie. Maalox, Mylanta, or generic) and 50% water. This is safe, and its basic pH diminishes the acid pH of pepper spray and tear gas.